Skip to content ↓

GCSE Food & Nutrition

What will you learn about?

It is the aim of the Food Technology Department to encourage and develop a passion, knowledge and understanding about the food we all prepare and eat.  We endeavour to give students a grounding in this key life skill.  We also consider it is important to make students aware of the health and social effects that derive from their own choice of food products.  In the last 3 years ,the Department has recently been fully refurbished and can now boast having a professional catering quality level of equipment throughout its rooms.

Qualification: GCSE

QAN Code: 500/4399/7

Level: 1& 2

Exam Board: WJEC

All of our KS4 students will undertake a Food Technology GCSE.  This allows them to draw on all the theory they have studied in KS3 as well as augmenting this with a deeper level of the theory that is taught in Years 10 and 11.  The students will have the  opportunity to create a wide variety of individual dishes that incorporate many different cooking techniques.  They will be taught about how different dietary conditions affect the food ingredients that can be used for any particular market and/or client, and will be expected to develop food products that are marketable and fully realistic.

This GCSE has the potential to lead to students taking further Key Stage 5 and Higher Education Programmes.

Assessment:

This specification requires one 10 hour and one 20 hour controlled assessment projects to be completed. 

This assessment accounts for 60% of the final GCSE grade, with the remaining 40% being made up from the examination at the end of Year 11.

Other information:

The Food Technology department commits itself to teaching students to prepare and cook food products in a safe and hygienic manner.  

We aim to bring out the full potential of each student, allowing them to discover and develop their own style and culinary tastes.