Skip to content ↓

GCSE Res. Materials

Resistant Materials is taught within specialist workshop environments that embrace traditional and modern tools, machines and processes. Students will work with a variety of materials to design, manufacture, test and evaluate the products of tomorrow, allowing them to develop practical ability as well as their problem solving skills. Students will use ICT and Computer Aided Design and Manufacture to both develop and enhance their work within the subject.

Qualification: GCSE

QAN Code: 500/4609/3

Level: 1 & 2

Exam Board: AQA

This qualification allows students a much more hands on approach to Design and Technology. Learning is through practical experience rather than taught theory lessons. Projects range from traditional furniture to the use of more modern technologies and allow the pupils to engage with tools and materials that prepare them for further education with design or careers in manufacturing, carpentry or construction. 

Assessment:

The course requires a 45 hour coursework project to be completed during the later stages of Year 10 and throughout Year 11.

This project accounts for 60% of the final GCSE grade, with the remaining 40% being made up from the examination at the end of Year 11. 

Other Information:

The Resistant Materials department aims to prepare students for the ever changing world in which they live.

Technological advancements mean that society is moving forwards at a faster rate than ever before and students will learn to appreciate the ways in which good design enhances the way in which they live.