A Level PE
About the course:
A Level Physical Education combines 7 areas of study across 2 years. These range from Anatomy and Physiology to Psychology in Sport and Analysis. The course has been designed to lead into a huge variety of careers in both the sporting and science industries. It combines practical performance with theoretical application and is often considered as a science by universities. Opportunities such as university laboratory visits, sporting expert seminars and elite performance visits are all part of this exciting and diverse A level
What does this qualification cover?
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Skill acquisition
- Sport and society
- Exercise physiology
- Biomechanical movement
- Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- Sport psychology
- In addition, students will be assessed as a performer or coach in the full sided version of one activity
How will it be assessed:
Students will sit two external exams, which each last for two hours and these will account for 70% of your total grade. Your practical performance will be assessed in your chosen activity which accounts for 15% of your total grade. You will also complete an analysis of your own performance which will account for the final 15% of your grade.
What is expected of you:
• commitment to Sport – representing either the school or an external club
• enthusiasm for participating and coaching in sport
• ability to study independently
What it prepares you for:
A Level Physical Education is unique in the sense that it opens so many doors into the sport and science world. A Level PE students go on to study and work in a huge range of fields from sports nutrition, sports psychology, sports science, physiotherapy, teaching and many non-sports based tracks.
- 5 GCSE grades 4+ including both English and Maths
- GCSE PE Grade 5
AQA Advanced Level GCE in Physical Education
QAN Code: 601/8633/1.
For more information please speak to:
Mr Reed – Subject Lead for PE
Mr Wooding – KS5 Lead